Changing Your Name on University Records
Students, Faculty and Staff are all eligible to set up a "Preferred Name" on their Personal Information record in PeopleSoft.
When you set up a "Preferred Name,"this will by default show up on your email and class rosters (however, not on waitlist rosters which may be viewed by professor and other administrators). You will also be able to change your "Personal Information" settings such that your "Preferred Name" will show up on your UCard in place of your "Legal Name."
If you would like your preferred name to be listed on your UCard you will need to;
- Navigate to the Personal Information update page which includes step-by-step instructions. Enter and submit a preferred name if you have not all ready added a "preferred name" in the past.
- After submitting the preferred name, see the "Getting a New UCard" section below.
Faculty and Staff
When you set up a "Preferred Name", this name will now show up on your email.
Getting a New UCard (Name and/or Photo)
- You will have to wait 24 hours after changing your name in the university system
- Go to MyU - My Info - Click The Edit Pencil By Your Name - Add A New Name - Select Preferred Name and then fill in your preferred name.
- If you have additional questions, visit the UCard Office for more information
The UCard Office provides a free photo replacement service to students who present differently than in their original UCard photo. Students who would like a new University photo, but who do not need a replacement UCard, may have a free replacement photo taken at the UCard office. Students needing a new UCard must pay the card replacement fee.
The student's photo would then be updated in class rosters used by departments and instructors. Alternatively, students may submit a replacement digital photo to the UCard office (if it meets photo standards). Please inform students that this service is available to them. Students should avoid making these requests at extremely busy time periods, such as orientation, if possible.
Changing Your Legal Name
What You'll Need
- Name Change Request Form. The student form can be found approximately 3/4 of the way down the page under "Student Records Forms."
- If you're employed by the university, you'll need a copy of your updated Social Security card.
- If you're not employed by the university, either a Social Security card or a passport will suffice.
- International students will also need to contact ISSS (190 Humphrey School or 612-626-7100). You may want to call them first to check what you'll need to do.
Where To Go
The Name Change Request Form and supporting documents can be returned in person to 20 Fraser Hall, or mailed to:
Academic Support Resources,
20 Fraser Hall, 106 Pleasant St SE,
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0433
Changing Gender Markers
The University is living up to its guiding principles by
- providing an atmosphere of mutual respect,
- assisting individuals, institutions, and communities in responding to a changing world,
- being conscious of and responsive to the needs of the many communities it is commied to serving,
- and seing high expectations for and empowering the individuals within our community.
Students and employees will be able to indicate a gender identity and personal pronoun through the My Info tab of MyU. Students’ personal pronouns will be made available to advisors, faculty, instructors, and other University employees in several places, including:
- Advisor Center - My Advisees
- Faculty Center - Class Roster
- Faculty Center - Class Roster with Photo
- Student Services Center
Visit One Stop Student Services to access the Step-by-Step instructions for changing your gender and pronoun marker(s).
Check out One Stop to see how your personal information will used and view their FAQ sheet.
Are we missing something?
Let us know what resources would be helpful and we'll add them to the list! Email us at email@example.com to provide feedback.