Changing Your Name, Gender Marker & Pronouns

Photo of 2 students sitting on a couch holding each other and looking into the camera

Photo Credit: Bailey Jader

Changing Your Name on University Records



Students, Faculty and Staff are all eligible to set up a "Preferred Name" on their Personal Information record in PeopleSoft. 


When you set up a "Preferred Name,"this will by default show up on your email and class rosters (however, not on waitlist rosters which may be viewed by professor and other administrators). You will also be able to change your "Personal Information" settings such that your "Preferred Name" will show up on your U Card in place of your "Legal Name."

If you would like your preferred name to be listed on your U Card you will need to;

Faculty and Staff

When you set up a "Preferred Name", this name will now show up on your email.


Parent/Guest Access and Preferred Names for Students

Your preferred name will appear to parents and/or guests if you grant them access to information on your student record. Your primary/legal name may also appear (more information is available on the One Stop website).

Items that feature your primary/legal name include:


Getting a New U Card (Name and/or Photo)

  • You will have to wait 24 hours after changing your name in the university system
  • Go to MyU - My Info - Click The Edit Pencil By Your Name - Add A New Name - Select Preferred Name and then fill in your preferred name. 
  • If you have additional questions, visit the U Card Office for more information

Photo Replacement

The U Card Office provides a free photo replacement service to students who present differently than in their original U Card photo. Students who would like a new University photo, but who do not need a replacement U Card, may have a free replacement photo taken at the U Card office. Students needing a new U Card must pay the card replacement fee.

The student's photo would then be updated in class rosters used by departments and instructors. Alternatively, students may submit a replacement digital photo to the U Card office (if it meets photo standards). Students should avoid making these requests at extremely busy time periods, such as orientation, if possible.


Changing Your Legal Name


What You'll Need

  • Name Change Request Form. The student form can be found approximately 3/4 of the way down the page under "Student Records Forms."
  • If you're employed by the university, you'll need a copy of your updated Social Security card.
  • If you're not employed by the university, either a Social Security card or a passport will suffice.
  • International students will also need to contact ISSS (190 Humphrey School or 612-626-7100). You may want to call them first to check what you'll need to do.

Where To Go

The Name Change Request Form and supporting documents can be returned in person to 20 Fraser Hall, or mailed to: 

Academic Support Resources, 
20 Fraser Hall, 106 Pleasant St SE, 
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0433


Changing Gender Markers

The University is living up to its guiding principles by

  • providing an atmosphere of mutual respect,
  • assisting individuals, institutions, and communities in responding to a changing world,
  • being conscious of and responsive to the needs of the many communities it is commied to serving,
  • and seing high expectations for and empowering the individuals within our community.


Students and employees will be able to indicate a gender identity and personal pronoun through the My Info tab of MyU. Students’ personal pronouns will be made available to advisors, faculty, instructors, and other University employees in several places, including:

  • Advisor Center - My Advisees
  • Faculty Center - Class Roster
  • Faculty Center - Class Roster with Photo
  • Student Services Center


Visit One Stop Student Services to access the Step-by-Step instructions for changing your gender and pronoun marker(s).


Check out One Stop to see how your personal information will used and view their FAQ sheet. 


Are we missing something?

Let us know what resources would be helpful and we'll add them to the list! Email us at to provide feedback.



Facebook "f" Icon     Instagram Icon Logo     Twitter logo Icon