The Gender and Sexuality Center for Queer and Trans Life is dedicated to transforming campus climate for University of Minnesota students, staff, faculty, alum and community members by developing and supporting more inclusive understandings of gender and sexuality through education, advocacy, outreach and support.
Our vision is to have a campus that is the national model for intersectional understandings of gender and sexuality, by continuously engaging with University of Minnesota students, staff, faculty, alum and the broader community.
Social Justice Values Statement
We recognize the intersections of gender and sexuality with race, ethnicity, class, ability, age, culture, nationality, immigration status and all social systems. We work to build and bridge communities that welcome and affirm people to be their whole selves, honoring their multiple identities and life experiences. We work to fight systems of oppression that marginalize individuals and communities based on social identities. We are committed to:
- Accountability: holding ourselves and others accountable for working against all forms of oppression.
- Accessibility: creating environments that are accessible to all identities with a focus on those most marginalized and oppressed in our communities.
- Intersectionality: centering our work on the impact and experiences of multiple oppressed identities.
- Empowerment: empowering self and others through sustainable practices and collective liberation.
- Transparency: being open and inclusive in our work and removing barriers to information access.