Image of two people smiling at the camera.

Photo Credit: Jordan Steger

Gender Open Housing (GOH)

Gender Open Housing at the University of Minnesota is available in many residence hall and apartment buildings. Current students have the option to sign up for these spaces during housing Room Sign Up or as part of a New Student Housing Application.

Expand all

Why Gender Open Housing?

  • To provide a safe, inclusive, and supportive living experience for all University of Minnesota students.
  • To create an environment that meets the diverse needs of our students.
  • To provide an alternative option that is more consistent with the needs of students who would be uncomfortable in an assigned-sex pairing, including those who identify as transgender or gender nonconforming
  • To provide an on-campus housing option comparable to off-campus opportunities.
  • To demonstrate Housing & Residential Life’s support for transgender, gender-queer, and gender non-conforming students.

Roommate Options

  • Mutual Requests: Students can submit a roommate request with a current student or transfer student. Requests must be mutual.
  • Contract Cancellations: If a roommate cancels their contract, Housing will contact them and they will have an opportunity to find another roommate,  choose to be assigned to a random roommate from the waiting list, or you choose to have a student with their same gender assigned.

Where are Gender Open Housing Spaces Located?

  • Comstock Hall: Single & Double Rooms
  • University Village: 2-Person 2-Bedroom Apartments
  • Middlebrook Hall: Double Rooms
  • Yudof Hall: 2-Person 2-Bedroom Suites
  • Radius: 2-Person 2-Bedroom Apartments
  • 17th Avenue: Double Rooms (starting fall 2018)
  • Wilkins Hall: 2-person 1-bedroom Apartments

All students within GOH will have access to single-user bathrooms. In the upcoming years, other gender open spaces will be made available based on the feedback of students and the renovation of our facilities. 

How Can Students Apply For Gender Open Housing?

All current students will receive an email with access to the GOH Supplemental Application Form, which includes information about their roommate and building preferences. This form must be submitted to be considered for a gender open space.

New prospective students interested in GOH should select "Contact Me" in the gender section of their housing application. A member of the Housing & Residential Life team will contact you to learn more about your housing needs and answer questions you have regarding GOH as a new student. 

Students currently living in University Housing who are interested in living in GOH should email Kristie Feist: [email protected] and indicate your housing preferences from the above listed options as well as any roommate preferences. Mutual roommates are required so both students will need to email their intention to live together for the following year.

Lavender House - Living, Learning Community (LLC)